The Indira Gandhi National Open University was established by an act of Parliament in 1985 to achieve the following objectives:
- Democratising higher education by taking it to the doorsteps of the learners.
- Providing aces to high quality education to all those who seek it irrespective of age, region or formal qualification.
- Offering need-based academic programmes by giving professional and vocational orientation to the courses.
- Promoting and developing distance education in India.
- Setting and maintaining standards in distance education in the country as an apex body for the purpose.
IGNOU Regional Centre Delhi-3 was notified on 27th October 2008 to provide better services to the students and public residing in west Delhi and Gurgaon district of Haryana. Dr. Rajender Gujral joined as first Regional Director on 18th December, 2008. Initially the Regional Centre was functioning from the premises of Regional Centre Delhi-1.and later moved in to F-634/635/636 Palam Extension near Ramphal Chowk, Sector -7 Dwarka New Delhi in January 2010.A dedicated Student Zone is created on the ground floor of the RC building with availability of prospectus, various formats for learners and counters for submission of admission applications, BCA/MCA project proposals, learners’ representations for various matters etc.
Regional Centre Delhi 3 has 41 learner support Centres comprising of 12 Regular Study Centres, 6 Special Study Centres, 1 Recognized Study Centres and 22 Programme Study Centres offering a range of Programmes from Computer Sciences& IT programmes to Management, Education, Health Sciences, Agriculture and Performing Arts. The area under RC jurisdiction is as under.
JURSIDICTION/ OPERATIONAL AREA OF REGIONAL CENTRE DELHI-3
MUNDKA, NANGLOI JAT, PEERA GARHI, PUNJABI BAGH, BAKARWALA, MEERA BAGH, MOTI NAGAR, TILAK NAGAR, TILANGPUR KOTALA, VIKAS PURI, SUBHASH NAGAR, UTTAM NAGAR, JANAK PURI, NAJAFGARH, MAHAVIR ENCLAVE, SAGARPUR, DWARKA, PALAM, PALAM FARMS, KAPASERA, DHAULA KUAN, NARAINA, DISTIST GURGAON OF HARYANA STATE, MEWAT, MAHIPALPUR, MANSAROVAR GARDEN.
West Delhi and Gurgaon district of NCR are an upcoming and high growth region and the establishment of Regional Centre Delhi 3 has contributed in catering to the educational requirements of this area.