The Indira Gandhi National Open University was established by an act of Parliament in 1985 to achieve the following objectives:
- Democratising higher education by taking it to the doorsteps of the learners.
- Providing aces to high quality education to all those who seek it irrespective of age, region or formal qualification.
- Offering need-based academic programmes by giving professional and vocational orientation to the courses.
- Promoting and developing distance education in India.
- Setting and maintaining standards in distance education in the country as an apex body for the purpose.
IGNOU Regional Centre Delhi-3 was notified on 27th October 2008 to provide better services to the students and public residing in west Delhi and Gurgaon district of Haryana. Dr. Rajender Gujral joined as Regional Director on 18th December, 2008. Initially the Regional Centre was functioning from the premises of Regional Centre Delhi-1. The Regional Centre moved in its own building located at F-634/635/636 Palam Extension near Ramphal Chowk, Sector -7 Dwarka New Delhi in January 2010.The RC has started providing all support services to learners from its new premises. Admission are open for July 2010 session and a dedicated Student Zone is created on the ground floor of the RC building with availability of prospectus, various formats for learners and counters for submission of admission applications, BCA/MCA project proposals, learners’ representations for various matters etc.
Regional Centre Delhi 3 has 38 learner support Centres comprising of 11 Regular Study Centres, 3 Special Study Centres, 1 Recognized Study Centres and 23 Programme Study Centres offering a range of Programmes from Computer Sciences& IT programmes to Management, Education, Health Sciences, Agriculture and Performing Arts. The area under RC jurisdiction viz. West Delhi and Gurgaon district of NCR is an upcoming and high growth region and the establishment of Regional Centre Delhi 3 will contribute in catering to the educational requirements of this area.